Saturday, September 28, 2013

Reality Show Meets History...More or Less

Next weekend the local Renaissance faire is opening here in my area.  I'm hoping that this year, the jousting returns.  I've been to Medieval Times, a dinner-theater place that has a handful of locations throughout the country, including Dallas and Chicago, and it's great theatrics.  I've also had the opportunity of seeing real jousting.  No, not through time-travel, although that would be a dream come true for me. 

For two years at this local fair, I've had the pleasure of watching Shane Adams and his troupe perform in essentially historical accurate armor, from the back of heavy horses, with real lances.  As a breeder of Clydesdale horses and a Middle Ages enthusiast, it couldn't have gotten any better for me.  I was disappointed at not getting to watch him and his fellows last year, unaware that he was in the midst of filming the debut of a reality series for The History Channel entitled "Full Metal Jousting."

I thought the series was well done, and was appreciative of the concern demonstrated for the horses and the contestants alike.  I've heard rumors that the show will be repeated this year, and while I hope that doesn't mean I have to miss seeing them in person yet again, I'll certainly look forward to seeing a second season of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment